Know Your Hepatitis C Genotype before Starting
How many hepatitis C genotypes?
There are approximately 7 genotypes of hepatitis C in the human population, based on race and ethnicity.
Genotypes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 , 6 & 7
“Europeans usually have hepatitis C genotype 1. Generic Harvoni treats gentotypes 1 & 4, sometimes 3. “
FYI: only one patient in the world has genotype 7 and it was discovered in 2013.
To recommend treatment, your doctor will have you do a test for the viral load of the virus. This test will let your doctor know if its necessary to pursue treatment or not.
If the viral load is very low then most probably your physician will hold off on treatment, due to the $95,000 cost of Harvoni and other new hepatitis C treatments.
If your condition worsens, its better to get your hepatitis C genotype test done and get ready for treatment. For genotype testing click here.
Once your healthcare professional determines what hepatitis C treatment is best for your genotype, you can prepare for treatment.
Check out the overview of hepatitis C genotypes and the corresponding hepatitis C treatment.
1. Harvoni hep C treatment for genotypes 1 or 4.
- Sovaldi hep c treatment for genotypes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 with other drug combinations.
- Genotype 2 patients can take Sovaldi and weight based ribavirin.
- Genotype 3 patients can take Sovaldi, weight based ribavirin and peginterferon-alpha injections.
2. Epclusa hep C treatment for genotypes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.
3. Vosevi hep C treatment for genotypes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.
4. Zepatier hep C treatment for genotypes 1 and 4.
5. Mavyret hep C treatment for genotypes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.
6. Viekira Pak hep C treatment for genotypes 1.
Believe us, you will get through this. So did so many millions of people around the world with direct acting antivirals (DAAs). We did it too.